#WeavingCommunity During Crisis: Care Ideas

Loving all of these ideas!

We just launched Seder2020.org - a free, easy way for anyone and everyone to organize their Passover Seders this year.

We hope it’s a helpful tool for families who were worried about how they were going to come together, organizations who otherwise had to cancel their gatherings, and everyone else who needs a way to be in community.

6 Likes

I’m the founder of a podcast network called The Democracy Group, which focuses on civic engagement and civil discourse. We put together a playlist of episodes that examine how our democracy is responding to this crisis and are working on a panel event/Q&A session in the coming weeks. You can access the playlist here: https://democracygroup.org/playlists/coronavirus-pandemic-2020/.

6 Likes

We’re joining others in fasting this weekend - praying for “relief from the physical, emotional and economic effects of this global pandemic.”

Making this small sacrifice helps with a sense of solidarity - being in this together. And I always feel cleaner and refreshed internally. The money saved from temporarily pausing our usual consumption patterns will then be donated towards efforts to help those who are sick or out of work. Millions of dollars were raised the last time we held a fast like this. We’d love to have you join if you’re able! See more details below.

5 Likes

Hi everyone! I’m the founder of Civic Dinners, a community engagement platform designed to bring people together for conversations that matter. We just launched the ability to host Virtual Conversations (in lieu of in person dinners) and you can choose from over 2 dozen conversation topics to bring your friends, peers, neighbors, family and anyone from around the world. Simply go to civicdinners.com and find a topic, then click “Host your own” and follow the steps. You can use any google hangout, zoom room, or other video chat room, or we can generate a room for you on our platform. You’ll receive a host guide with the prompts and questions to engage in a meaningful conversation.

We’ll soon be launching a Virtual Happy Hour series to help bring people together socially in these times of physical distancing.

I really loved David Brooks’ recent article in the New York Times about the need for deep conversations. If you have ideas on questions or even topics that we can help create and make available to everyone, please send me an email: hello@civicdinners.com

Cheers to all of you stepping up in these challenging times to help create a better world.

7 Likes

Thank you for this wonderful on-line gathering of kindness and connection.
We at the non-profit You Matter Marathon (No running required) are sharing You Matter cards with healthcare providers, grocery store workers, pharmacy staff and others who are serving us at this vulnerable time.
We’ve also invited the young children on my street to make home-made “get well” cards for all the folks in our local hospital who aren’t allowed visitors.
Coming together in humane ways big and small is the best medicine.
YOU MATTER.
Cheryl

5 Likes

I love the #ChalkYourWalk movement - my girls participated this past week, encouraging our neighbors as they passed our house!

2 Likes

I LOVE this Cheryl! Handwritten notes are the best!!!

2 Likes

A local florist in (New Albany, MS!) set up space outside of his shop to gather bouquet of fresh flowers to take to your house! Of course the florist honored social distancing rules, such as only one person at a time and take any flowers you touch. Some dropped the bouquet off at their grandparents house, some used the flowers for themselves, but hundreds of people around town showed off their bouquet off on facebook tagging the florist, and thanking him for his generosity and collectively agreeing upon the joy he allowed our community to experience!!

3 Likes

At Mismatch, we are launching a simple, free video platform that connects Americans in deep, meaningful conversations to build relationships and stay connected during a time of physical distancing.

3 Likes

Someone we’ve supported for several years through our non-profit Someone To Tell It To has pancreatic cancer. Typically, she has friends and family members to take her to her appointments, to sit with her and be present during those moments of uncertainty during her treatments. Yesterday, with hospitals not allowing visitors, she wasn’t allowed to have anyone with her which created more anxiety. Our team texted her prior to the appointment–during the appointment–and again immediately afterwards so she felt less alone. She is also going to be a guest on our podcast, telling her story of how COVID is affecting cancer patients.

3 Likes

A group of us in Phoenixville, PA—five mothers concerned with the future we’re creating for our children—created the Phoenixville Community Conversation Project. While the most extreme voices get the most airtime, causing many to withdraw, structured conversation can bring us back together.

It’s working.

We’re hosting a series of Living Room Conversations, allowing our community to grapple with hard issues. We’re building trust, deepening relationships, and increasing a sense of belonging.

Coronavirus means we’re shifting to virtual conversations, but participants are more committed than ever. During conversations we listen generously, and that a practice that spills over into our lives. “Because of these conversations,” shares participant Stephanie Root, “I’m conscious of how I listen. I assumed people wanted comments like ‘Yeah!’ I’m learning that being quiet and present is enough.”

Conversation helps us cultivate inner spaciousness that brings calm clarity in moments of high anxiety. “I’m learning to practice silent affirmation during our conversations,” said participant Linda Valloor. “Showing care without words helps me as a teacher and parent.”

Social connection doesn’t require physical contact. Dr. Catherine Renzulli, Principal of Phoenixville’s Schuylkill Elementary, was looking for opportunities to increase civic discourse. The Conversation Project inspired her to consider adding a “question of the week” prompt in her weekly email blasts to equip families with tools for connection while schools are closed.

These are just a few examples coming out of this movement in recent weeks. I’m so encouraged and inspired reading all of the work being done across this community.

Thank you!

5 Likes

I’m doing 30 Days of Meaningful Conversations through our #CompassionConvos Facebook page. We’re inviting people to engage with others through meaningful conversations to help those struggling with social isolation and loneliness. https://m.facebook.com/compassionconvos/?view_public_for=224644117646465

4 Likes

I was inspired to write a letter of gratitude to friends and colleagues I’ve lost touch with over the years describing specific ways they’ve moved me for the better.

2 Likes

Thought Skate for Change we will be skating and leaving sanitized hygiene kits for people experiencing homelessness.

Through the non-profit Mission Adelante, we are starting with a needs-based assessment and then seeing how we can use our staff to impact and support one of the most diverse counties in the United States. All programs have been moved online and we are looking ways to cut through the noise and have an impact that is needed and efficient for the families we serve.

2 Likes

We had started highlighting who we’re calling “Local Patriots” prior to the crisis but we’re continuing now full-force to just say a kind word about people who do good in the community, expressing their love of country through their devotion to our hometown. Nominees span from the mayor to neighbors who quietly do good work to lend a hand who no one knows (yet). All it involved is putting a nomination page up, letting people know they’ve been nominated, then we post about them on social media. We’ve repeatedly gotten messages back from these wonderful people about how our email was a singular bright spot for them in the crisis. This essentially weaves together a community forced to bring their A-game to this difficult challenge. A shortened version of this is to just reach out to people you appreciate and say a word of gratitude to them. Find our Local Patriots online here: https://tlh.villagesquare.us/event/nominate-a-patriot/

2 Likes

This is a great thread!
At The Family Dinner Project, we’re encouraging people to make the most of their at-home time with their families. We’ve created a Stuck-At-Home Guide for families with food, fun and conversation ideas they can use during the coronavirus pandemic: https://thefamilydinnerproject.org/blog/pandemic-2020-our-stuck-at-home-guide-to-food-fun-and-conversation/
We are also hard at work on a Virtual Dinner Guide that will go out to our users shortly, helping them to connect meaningfully for shared meals with friends and family who are in different locations.

4 Likes

In Fairport, NY, my wife and several of her friends are involved in a local project to sew hospital masks. There is a small cottage industry in our neighborhood today as some are cutting materials from patterns and dropping it off at other houses to be sewn. Calls are going out through NextDoor and Facebook for items like elastic and thread. Wonderful to see!

3 Likes

I’ll be doing Zoom-based Living Room Conversations on health and healing with a local college campus. You can see how teachers use Living Room Conversations in in-person classes at this recent post on Heterodox Academy.

3 Likes

I am the founder of Podcast Brunch Club, which is like book club, but for podcasts. Over the last five years we’ve grown to nearly 80 in-person chapters that meet up IRL in cities across 6 continents to discuss a thematic podcast listening list. Obviously, that has had to change with the current pandemic. Thankfully, about a year ago we started a virtual chapter that meets by videoconference. So we already had a model in place that we could just build out to absorb all of the people who still wanted to connect, but are simultaneously doing their part by physically distancing themselves from their neighbors. We’ve increased the number of virtual meetings we offer and it’s been a beautiful thing to watch people across the globe connect with one another. The theme for March is Happiness. And in honor of National Conversation Week that was supposed to take place next month our theme for April will be CONVERSATION and Adam Grant (Wharton professors, NY Times bestselling author, TED speaker, all-around powerhouse) actually curated our podcast listening list for us! We welcome anyone to join us.

3 Likes

I created a scavenger/treasure hunt geared towards elementary & middle school kids…and their families. I tried to work into the game ideas to find some meaning and “build community” in a outdoors social-distance-friendly way that is fun and healthy and safe.

I share it here as a brainstorming idea that might be something others may want to adapt to their immediate neighborhood. I am more than glad to share the Google Docs templates with anyone who asks.

My contact info is contained in the material on this FaceBook group, as well as the games (and instructions) I have created to date.

Feel free to contact me, but please do not sign up for the group as I do not want to cause concern especially for local moms who see a bunch of people not from the area in the group. :smiley:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2653139571463121/

2 Likes