#WeavingCommunity During Crisis: Care Ideas

We’re #WeavingCommunity during crisis. Join us at Weaving2020.org to connect, converse, and care!

Here are acts of kindness we’ve seen. Please add more!

• Chats on text and Facebook
  • Calling family around the country
  • Virtual happy hours with friends
  • Making a date to watch a TV Show, text-chatting or phone chatting while watching
  • Leaving notes on neighbors door, offering to cook for them
  • Inviting elderly neighbor to dinner
  • Sharing what you’re grateful for on social media (including finding and sharing stories of acts of kindness by others)
4 Likes

Thanks for sharing the list, Pearce! Yesterday, I left notes on the doors of seven neighbors, inviting them to become a known-to-each-other community, since we will be in physical proximity for the next little while. As I left the notes (I put them in the doorframe, knocked on the door and then backed up 6’), I found that I needed an extra dose of courage. I really had nothing to lose by doing this small act, but that fear of rejection reared it’s head anyway. It reminds me that even acts of kindness towards one another require courage. Let’s be brave in this time of uncertainty. We’ll be better for it!

3 Likes

Debilyn, thanks for sharing such a beautiful act of caring. I moved into my neighborhood a year ago and this idea is a gift and an inspiration to meet the many neighbors I still don’t know. I’ve been thinking of how to support, emotionally and financially, people who don’t have regular jobs and whose income is disappearing as people stop going out or they need to care for family or themselves - the Uber and Lyft drivers, the musicians and artists whose shows are being cancelled, the shift workers who aren’t regular employees with sick leave, the aides who support those who are older or disabled, the landscape entrepreneurs… and many others. I will go on Nextdoor to organize with neighbors a mutual aid group that will pool money for those whose incomes are disappearing. Would love ideas from everyone on how we might do this in a way that shows up for others and preserves their dignity.

3 Likes

Love your definition of mutual aid! I’m in an apartment building and I wonder if there is a way through Next Door to find who lives in the building?

2 Likes

Some folks are putting up their holidays lights to keep neighbors and delivery people smiling.

2 Likes

All wonderful suggestions! My family has been doing more walks in the neighborhood and “running into” (while remaining physically distant) new neighbors! Each time we have made sure to check in - our neighbor for instance manages 12 instructors who now have to teach online, 10 of whom are doing so for the first time! Both my wife and I also have been transitioning to online teaching and so can provide a bit of emotional support as well as some advice - new tools and “best practices” that we can follow up with emails and Zoom calls to share our screens and do mini-tutorials. Right now, it is about getting to a “new normal” and what better a place to do that than in your own neighborhood!!

2 Likes

I love the holiday lights idea! We are getting a blizzard today in Colorado. Once the snow settles, I will dispatch my 2 strong (and bored) teenagers to start shoveling driveways. Nothing says, “we’re in this together” quite like snow storms and pandemics!
Debilyn, I love your idea too - thanks for the inspiration!

2 Likes

“In this time of social isolation, we must remember those who are disconnected and lonely. Those who are confined to home, living alone or with disabilities, who are older, who have pre-existing conditions that make them especially vulnerable to the virus. Those who are often overlooked. With those special ‘someones’ in mind, including ourselves, we’d like to offer four ways to help us overcome social isolation:

1. Get creative

Michael and I have made a commitment with another one of our team members, who now lives out of state, to share lunch meals together, we’ve gone on walks in unison, we’ve sent encouraging texts. We’ve fostered the relationship.

1. Use technology wisely; don’t settle

No matter how far we go technologically, nothing satisfies like authentic, face-to-face interaction. Take advantage of the warmer temperatures. Go on a walk or take a hike. Foster community, but simply do it in smaller, less structured ways while maintaining appropriate physical distance.

1. Listen to podcasts

Here, we’d like to do a little self-promoting: Tune in to the Someone To Tell It To Podcast as we interview experts in the field of listening and we give people a platform to tell their stories.

1. Listen to yourself

Each of us has something special inside of us to offer to the world and it starts by looking within. Spend these extra moments in solitude reflecting on what you, uniquely, can offer the world and what steps you need to take to make it happen! Once you have those ideas in place, share them with others and invite them into the process so that you feel less alone in making those dreams and visions a reality. Finally, ask others about their dreams and visions and how individually and collectively you can make the world a better place.

Doing this will remind them that they are not forgotten or alone, that they are cared for. It can make a difference — a huge one. It can bring hope. It can offer reassurance. It can save a life.

This is one very important way we can help one another through it.

1 Like

Start a daily list of good things that are happening:
good things: watching a 5 year old color, watching a 3 year old run through a sprinkler, the smell of homemade bread baking, watching a partner create a performance persona, formation of new blisters on fingertips from increased guitar playing, increased phone calls with family members, remembering to breathe deeply

1 Like

Love the eating lunch together idea - I have to admit something: I have eaten lunch at my desk most days for the last 20 years … why have I not thought until now to do that WITH OTHERS who also eat at their desks??? I am trying to use this experience to cultivate different practices for a “new normal” post COVID!!! Thanks guys!!!

1 Like

My wife and I have to remember to breathe often - at home with our kids, whom we love and adore but also who are not used to being home 24-7 … they have baked, done art work, and so many things!!! Thanks for the perspective!!!

1 Like

Some ways I have cared for myself and others during this time are:

1. relaxing by doing yoga with my husband.
  2. nourishing myself by journaling.
  3. purchasing gift cards from local businesses.
  4. letting a friend know I’m thinking about them by sending a friend an Amazon package. Some pricey ideas here, but gets the ideas churning - https://www.fastcompany.com/90479321/what-to-put-in-a-coronavirus-care-package
  5. taking my dog on a walk & lawn maintenance- so good to get fresh air!

Love love love the ideas!!

1 Like

I paused for joyful play this morning with my cats.

2 Likes

I love this post I received from the Gottman Institute this morning (their Marriage Minute daily email):

In times of uncertainty, it can be easiest to tune in to what’s making you anxious.

After all, these days you may be regularly confronted with a waterfall of new information, eroding what “normal” used to look like. Anxiety comes in loud and clear.

It’s important, now more than ever, to not let anxiety drown out joy. Practice tuning in to joy with your partner by asking them, at the end of every day, “what brought you joy today?”

It may be as simple and small as something that made you laugh, or it can be something as immense as a shift in the weather that brightened the whole day.

Give joy a chance to shine.

2 Likes

I wrote this blog yesterday maybe it would speak to you:

** Amidst the Unrest, One Thing Remains the Same

In the matter of a few weeks, much has changed. Words and phrases such as “shutdown,” “lock-down,” “social distancing,” “pandemic,” and “outbreak,” among others, have become part of the common vernacular. Most of these words and phrases are inherently negative in nature, evoking feelings straight out of a Dean Koontz suspense novel, one in which we are all the lead characters.

But there is also another narrative, which is being written and rewritten for all to read. It is a bestseller—and we are all lead characters in this one, too!

You read this novel on the faces of little children as they “practice” school at home after academic institutions have been closed for days. Their simple laughter and joy remind us (adults) that adulting can be cruel and help keep us grounded in reality. You read it in the smiles of health care workers when they receive an unexpected free lunch, dropped off at the front desk by an unknown business leader, while they are mercilessly working extra shifts to keep the outbreak from spreading. Their tireless effort to keep others healthy, even when they have nearly reached their own breaking points, reminds us to press on, facing the elements as they come with courage, strength, and unity. You read it on the face of the business owner who is unsure about what the future holds, but nevertheless waits and slows down even when it goes against everything in her nature to do so. Her herculean effort to remain calm, to trust, to hope when her whole world seems to be collapsing gives the rest of us hope that we can persist too.

During this time, we face an epidemic of loneliness that has increased 65% in the last decade. The rise in loneliness and relational despair are associated with grim outcomes. Here is how relationship expert Robert Hall described it in in his essay “Straight Talk About Relationships, Community – and Faith,”:

John Ortberg’s words were never truer, “We would be better to eat Twinkies together than to eat broccoli alone.

And right there, in that last line, is the narrative we are trying to reanimate over and over and over again.

Philosopher Aristotle once said, “Without friends no one would choose to live, though he had all other goods.”

The author of the book of Proverbs expressed something similar in Proverbs 17:17, “A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for a time of adversity.”

And in Proverbs 27:9, “A sweet friendship refreshes the soul.”

Other theologians have declared that friendship has always been at the heart of their spiritual journey.

We all know that Twinkies aren’t good for us. We are also learning more and more every day how the coronavirus isn’t good for us either. Yet as John Orberg stated, it would be better to eat unhealthy Twinkies with others than to eat something healthy, such as broccoli, all by our lonesome. The same is true with the coronavirus — it would be better to face the severity of the virus together than to go on a five mile jog companionless. In other words, during these precarious times in which we find ourselves, let’s not forget the bestselling “novel” that has been flying off the shelves for centuries, the one that speaks of solidarity and camaraderie.

Friendship has always been at the heart of our journey, too. Amidst the rubble, one thing that remains the same is friendship. Mutual caring relationships are what is needed most in times of stress — relationships with an overabundance of kindness, generosity, tenderness, big-heartedness, and empathy.

We know this to be true in our own lives.

Someone To Tell It To could not exist as it does without the bonds of friendship that we as the co-founders share. This mission began out of a mutually supportive, vulnerable, and intentional relationship.

We have gone on countless walks together, dreaming and imagining, unburdening our minds and hearts, encouraging and examining our hopes and vision. We have been intentional about being gracious with one another, forgiving of one another, and always committed to being in this together through not simply the joys, but especially the hardest, most uncertain moments. We have weathered cash flow scares, have heard some of the most horrific stories in our listening together, and have done our best to embrace one another’s wounds and fears.

We wouldn’t trade any of it for a different journey, even though on some days, this journey has been harder to navigate than we could have ever imagined. Because through it all, it has brought us immense joy. We’ve not done everything perfectly. But we have done it together. And that makes it all the sweeter when — on so many days — it has been good and all the more forgiving when — on some memorable days — it has been bad.

Right now, we, as members of the human race, are on a journey that is bringing fear, isolation, and horrendous anxiety to the world. But, like faithful friends, we are on this journey together, all of us. Together.

We will see some of the worst of human behavior in the midst of it. We will also see some of the best; the “better angels of our nature,” as Abraham Lincoln so poetically phrased it in regard to the American Civil War.

Together, is how we will make it through. And we will be stronger for it when we do.

1 Like

This is such a great thread and kudos to everyone taking a step to connect with others and foster community in a time that it is difficult.

I wanted to add two things we are doing:

1. Making sure we order take out from one local community restaurant a week…and being sure to tip. Looking to make small contributions to the businesses that we hope don’t get too hurt by the shut downs while we have opportunity to do so.

2. Offering to pick up groceries for neighbors. This is an effort to build and foster the relationship while reducing the need for more people to go out and reduce their risk of going out. Small pickups, not full grocery shopping. Since food delivery is up to a week around here, this is helpful when any of us just need something.

Anyhow…thanks for all the great ideas.

3 Likes

Reply to this post to share your social innovation ideas for connecting with others. Here’s what folks in the We Are Weavers community say people are doing across the country to support their neighbors:

1. Video Meetups
    • To gather friends and neighbors
    • To make art and other creative projects with friends
    • For meditation sessions with others
  2. Peer writing/reading circles, where we share our writing on what’s happening for discussion with friends
  3. Victory Gardens, by ordering and sharing seeds with neighbors to start vegetable gardens
  4. Chat bots to help people find the closest open food pantry
  5. Free courses for K-12, like http://www.cultivatinghope.net
  6. Setting up “emotional hospital beds” by offering facilitated conversation spaces, like at https://feelreal.net
  7. Offering an open marketplace for the community, where you pay-what-you-feel
  8. Cooking meals for our homeless neighbors
  9. Live YouTube sessions on uplifting subjects to keep our minds strong, like at DC Meditation Museums https://www.meditationmuseum.org/meditation-events.html
  10. Donations and creating meal trains for folks impacted by business closures
  11. Neighborhood Facebook groups for the community to meet needs: food, clothing, shelter, supplies, services, connection and checking on our most vulnerable.
  12. Putting yourself on Help Map for your Nextdoor neighborhood https://nextdoor.com/help_map/
  13. Organizing to put up holiday lights or candles in windows of apts to show “We are here with you”

Add your ideas by replying to this post. Also visit the #WeavingCommunity During Crisis homepage to join with others in strengthening our relationships during the pandemic.

3 Likes

I’ve created a 5-minute morning podcast to offer calm from the English countryside

5 Likes

I am a retired psychotherapist. I have been recording tips along with guided meditations twice a week on FB. I also do a book review of spiritual books that readers can share their thought about. I have offered free tele mental health sessions as well.

6 Likes

My kids participated in #ChalkYourWalk as a way to embrace #WeavingCommunity - was great to see them take that initiative themselves! They don’t follow hashtags or any social media on this topic and yet felt intuitively that we are in need of connection and relationship even during a time of physical distancing! Proud Papa!!!

4 Likes